Thursday, July 26, 2012

Lacking May Bring Good


In the words of Beth Moore, “What is something you’ve wanted for a long while that you do not have? Has anything good or beneficial come to you or to others as a result of your lack?”

I have been thinking about these questions for some time now. The obvious answer to the first question is that I want a child. Question two poses a less obvious answer, because I still do not have what I desire. However, the more I reflect upon the question, the more I can see God’s hand in the ‘good’ He has given us as we ‘lack’ what we desire. Here are some of my recent thoughts on benefits from lacking:  

1.       The opportunity to watch our family and friends raise their children. If you are someone who has a child – THANK YOU for allowing us to be a part of your parenting/family experiences. You are truly role models in our lives. It is through you that we have learned the pros and cons of different parenting styles. Through our interactions with you and your child/ren we have had more ‘exposure’ to being around little ones.  

2.       This leads me to my second benefit of babysitting and working in the children’s ministry. Babysitting makes it pretty real: thank you to those of you who have given me this opportunityJ  Teaching middle schoolers on a regular basis may give me a glimpse of what parenting adolescents will look like down the road, but having the chance to work with preschoolers at church has been a fun outlet for Cole and me. They are so cute!

3.       One of the greatest ‘goods’ gained from this journey has been new found relationships. Some of my dearest friends are those whom I may have never talked to had it not been for our circumstances. If I had to endure a waiting period for a child, I would do it over again so that I could gain the friends that I have now. Love you all!

4.       And finally, the most significant ‘good’ that has come of this is God’s sovereignty and plan for our lives. -  Philippians 4:19: And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.  Even though it may be difficult at times, Cole and I have learned that God ultimately wants what is best for us and will take care of us no matter what. The Lord has captured our attention and during this waiting time drawn us closer to Him.

“You are For Me” by Kari Jobe

VERSE 1
So faithful, so constant
So loving and so true, so powerful in all you do
You fill me, You see me
You know my every move
You love for me to sing to you

CHORUS
I know that you are for me I know that you are for me
I know that you will never, forsake me in my weakness
I know that you have come now
Even if to write upon my heart
To remind me who you are

VERSE 2
So patient, so gracious
So merciful and true, so wonderful in all you do
You fill me, You see me
You know my every move, You love for me to sing to you

CHORUS



And my final thought revolves around yet another impactful song. As I drove home from my second trip to Ankeny this evening, “You are For Me” came on. I was silenced as I reflected on the meaning of the lyrics in my life: I found the bolded lyrics to be most meaningful this evening. Regardless of what I think I NEED, in pursuit of JOY, this song helps me to see that God’s faithfulness and constant presence is enough.

2 comments:

  1. Chelsey- you're a great writer! This is one of your best posts yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chelsey, I agree with Molly..You are a great writer! I sense you thriving in your growth and understanding of the sovereignty of God during this time of waiting for your dream to happen. I so agree with you...we learn so much through times of waiting as God draws us closer to Himself. His presence and faithfulness becomes a priceless treasure! I pray you will impact a lot of lives through your writing.
    I love the phrase...in pursuit of JOY....You've learned a valuable life lesson here...I believe we are put here to learn to pursue JOY as we learn to walk with Jesus. May the Joy of the Lord be your strength as you go from strength to strength...and hope to hope.

    ReplyDelete