Monday, August 3, 2015

The New Normal

Three years ago at this time Cole and I were strolling through Dr. Seuss land at Universal Studios Islands of Adventure. We watched as children were easily entertained by The Cat in The Hat ride. At this point in time we were going on four years of trying to have children; we longed to be able to take our child/ren to a park someday. Little did we know that within three years we would be blessed with three children. My, has our landscape changed! Three years ago I was hopeful that the Lord would grant us one child at some point; I would have never guessed that we would be blessed with three in three years. 

“Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.”
Ephesians 3:20-21

Bo joined the team on June 5th, and he has been the perfect addition to our family. I am so thankful he is a happy, healthy boy. He seems to be a good mix of both Grace and Kalei when they were newborn babes: he likes to sleep longer stretches like Kalei and he likes to utilize his vocal cords when upset like Grace;) Opposite from the girls, he likes tummy time, sleeping in a swaddler, and dislikes being strapped in his car seat. Which means my new place in the van is right next to him. Cole is getting used to the vacant co-pilot seat.

Our 'old normal' consisted of Mommy spending all day with a Grace and Kalei. I got to pick them up, hug them or kiss them whenever they or I wanted to. I was able to drive them to the store just the three of us, and we were able to play outside any time of the day. I cherish and love every second I had with just the twins. 

In the trenches of our new normal, Grace and Kalei have been good with Bo. They tend to want to be around him by touching/smelling his hair, holding him, or kissing him. 


There are also times when their big blue eyes look up at me and demand, "Mommy put Bo in his rocker." They still love Mommy to hold them and snuggle them.

The toughest scenario is when I am nursing Bo and they both have to go potty. I know as a mom I am supposed to be able to multi task like a champ, however, I have learned it is probably not best to try and nurse a baby while trying to pull pants down and assist a two year old in the bathroom! This (potty training) has been the hardest part of our transition from two to three kids. Unfortunately, they both regressed. We figured this may happen, but hoped it would not last long. We are hoping they are on the upswing of having less accidents each day. 

In addition to being more independent by going potty in the big girl potty, Grace and Kalei have shown us how they definitely have a mind of their own. For example, I have started keeping a tally of how many times I have to ask them to do something before they finally comply. Before complying I typically see them A) ignore me, B) run away or C) throw a complete tantrum. It takes a prayerful mindset to stay patient with children, especially two year olds. I like what my friend Tammy recently said about parenting, "Before you raise your voice to your child, first whisper to God." This is great advice for me to follow daily. A verse I readily cry out to God is from Galatians chapter five – the fruits of the spirit. Being a parent is so rewarding, but also challenging. My prayer is that I can display these character traits daily.

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.”
Galatians 5:22-23

The twins’ personalities are becoming more pronounced, as well. For example, Grace will organize her books in a line on the floor and Kalei will eagerly knock them over.

Cole and I had to hold back laughing as Kalei pointed to Grace's book piles and said, "I want to knock them over." We told her that is not kind. And she replied, "I WILL knock them over." This scenario ended up with Kalei (finally) knocking them over when we weren't looking, Grace in tears, and Kalei apologizing. Apologizing occurs frequently, especially when they think they need to have what the other one is playing with. 

What has been fun to hear is the increase in conversations between Grace and Kalei. Many of them are directed by Grace trying to run the show;) Kalei is more of a free spirit and does not mind playing independently. They truly are the best of friends and enjoy being together.



Bo has been such a sweet baby. His smile and dimples just melt me every time. There is something different about snuggling a baby boy…the best way I can describe this attraction is that it is like I am back in junior high and staring at a boy that  I have a crush on. I just love staring at him.


His preferred napping spot is right next to Mommy or Daddy. Thank goodness for baby wearing! Having a hand or both hands free is essential with toddlers running around.


Another piece to our new normal has been the increase of time Cole gets to spend with just Grace and Kalei. They love taking special one on one trips with him to get ice cream
J Our new normal would not flow smoothly without the teamwork and support of my loving husband. He has been awesome on all fronts. The answer to all of these questions has been a resounding, “Yes, I would love to.”
 "Can you take the girls to the store?"
"Can you get up every morning and take care of the girls?"
"Can you go buy me a donut?!"
"Can you walk with Bo even though he may cry in your face?"
"Can you change Bo's dirty diaper?"
"Can you tuck the girls into bed?"
"Can you fix us supper?"
He is a patient and loving father and husband. It has been a joy seeing him bond with and take care of our children.



And finally, here is a snap shot of my new normal on a daily basis. 

Bo is content after eating with Mommy, Grace is ready to cover Bo with any blanket she can find, Kalei is bouncing off after sniffing Bo’s hair, and then there is me – smiling with my arms full and heart joyful as I embrace my new normal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment